No need for getting out the messy deep fryer with these chicken wings! You can achieve that golden brown crispy skin by cooking them slowly in the oven. You start them at a low temperature to melt the fat, then kick the temperature up to blast them with heat.
Who Doesn’t Love Chicken Wings?!
In my house we do! My mom got me hooked on these wings years ago now it’s the only way we make them. These wings are so versatile and can be jazzed up with any sauce you want. When I make them, I dip them in a very easy to make buffalo sauce. It uses one part Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce and one part butter. In almost all of my cooking I substitute butter with Earth Balance. It is plant based so it is cholesterol free but don’t let that scare you off because it tastes just like regular salty delicious butter.
The Secret To These Oven Crisp Wings
The secret ingredient to this deep fryer dupe, is baking powder. I know your asking baking powder?! Yes, but just enough to lightly coat the wings. Don’t mix up the baking powder for baking soda or else you will end up with a funky taste. The baking powder works as a drying agent to draw out the moisture from the wings.
What You Need To Make These Wings
Three Simple Ingredients
- Chicken Wings (you can use whole wings, cut them up, or buy them already separated)
- Baking Soda
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Oven Safe Cooking Rack
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
How To Step-by-Step Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil (you may need two trays depending on how many wings you make). This makes for easy clean-up without the extra dishes in the sink. Spray cooking racks with non-stick cooking spray. The wings WILL STICK if you skip this step.
- Take the chicken wings out of the package and pat them dry with paper towels. I have made them many times without taking this extra step, but it will help make them crispier.
- I like doing the next step in batches in a large mixing bowl (you could also do this in a large zip-lock bag). Place half the wings in a bowl and sprinkle half the baking powder and salt. Mix with tongs. Then repeat with the second batch.
- Place the wings on the cooking racks in a single layer, leaving room in between each one so the heat can circulate crisping all the edges.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes. This slowly melts the fat away.
- Then crank the heat to 425 degrees F for another 40-50 minutes. This high heat will crisp those wings right up!
- Take those crispy wings out of the oven and let them sit a minute then coat them in any sauce you desire and enjoy!
Oven Baked Crispy Chicken Wings
- 1-2 baking sheets
- 1-2 oven safe cooking racks
- 1 mixing bowl or zip-lock bag
- 4 lbs chicken wings
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 1-2 cooking sheets with tinfoil. Place cooking racks on sheets and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, in two batches, sprinkle baking powder and salt over the wings and toss with tongs until they are coated.
- Place the wings on the cooking racks in a single layer with space in between each wing so the heat can circulate.
- Cook at 250°F for 30 minutes.
- Then crank the heat to 425°F for another 40-45 minutes.
- Take wings out of the oven and allow them to sit for 5 minutes. Dip in whatever sauce you choose.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22.4g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 6.2g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 2g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
|Recipe analyzed by|